(Cray house renovate and
improving the scenery)
DaLaa WC project – code: 6504
Date : 9 -22 April 2022
Expected number of volunteers: 10 -15
We are a family of 3, working on alternative education, coaching for self awareness, women empowerment, and conflict resolution for over 15 years. We moved to live in a garden for the last 8 years and started to plant trees and build houses for ourselves, volunteers and visitors we often welcome. We started to teach English at the local school a few times and see the needs for community development. We would like to promote alternative education, self-reliance and working with Thai and foreign volunteers to improve the life of the community and society.
HISTORY and REASONS OF THE PLACEMENT
Dalaa working with the family since 2019, started with the international work camp on 2019 and middle term volunteers on 2020, we had seen the strong motivation of the family who want to help and support the local kid and people around with their knowledge. We continue working with them as a host and the advisor for our association, in 2022 the family want to host long term volunteers to work and be a part of the family. We DaLaa want to support and working together with them.
AIMS of the PROJECT
- To renovate the clay house and improve the scenery at the volunteers house
- To support local kids and young people to become able to communicate with foreigners and to learn from cultural exchange
- To improve the self-awareness of kids and young people and provide a creative space to express themselves.
- To create an open space for organic farming, towards a self-reliant an ecological community
- To renovated the clay house for the long term volunteers and the members
- Volunteers will help to renovate the clay house and improving the scenery, where will be the accommodation for the long term volunteers
- Volunteers will grow vegetables and plant trees, water them, make compost and collect fruits like bananas and mangoes.
- We will discuss and practice exercises for self-awareness.
- You will have chance to discover the community and the area around the Garden of Tranquility.
- Daily tasks, including going to the market, cooking and cleaning around
Other creative activities or discussions proposed by volunteers
- Volunteers should be interested in education for children, ready to lead a small group of kids on a chosen activity: English teaching, art or other.
- Volunteers should be ready to adapt to the Thai, local way of life, and willing to create relationships with volunteers’ friends, hosts and local people. Some difficult points could be mosquitoes and insects, eating rice at every meal, language and culture barrier, missing feedback, changing plans often.
- Volunteers should be able to stay in a remote environment, without public transport, not expecting to go to town or city often.
- Volunteers should be ready to put their hands in the dirt both for gardening.
- Volunteers should be able to take responsibility for themselves and the team by taking care of their health and security and be fully involved in the daily tasks and discussions.
**As we have a kid, we do not want our kid to see volunteers drinking and smoking in public area at the garden. We provide a specific space for this.
** Clothes worn in the village- schools and temple: skirts or shorts long enough to cover your knees also when you are sitting. Women should wear tops that cover their shoulders, no low neckline. Bikinis are not appropriate to swim if you go on holidays. Please wear long shorts and a top instead.
FOOD and ACCOMODATION
- We will take turn to cook 3 meals a day, suitable for vegetarians.
- Volunteers will live in a small clay house.
- Mosquito nets, pillows, blankets and mattresses are provided.
- Good quality shared bathrooms and kitchen.