Project number: 1401MTV
Dates: March 16th to May 1st, 2020
(volunteers are expected to join the full period)
Expected number of volunteers: 2-3
Ta Yang is a small Muslim fishermen village on the Coast of Andaman Sea in Satun province, South Thailand. In 2014, few villagers decided to create a learning space for local children to gather and do regular activities with international volunteers from DaLaa. In March and April, it is school holidays and we would like to bring one more time the international volunteer atmosphere in the village for the local children. Who is willing to volunteer to organize these activities will be rewarded by kids’ smiles and pure energy and by sharing deeply the daily life of this community, even if of course the English language is still a challenge for most of them.
HISTORY and REASONS OF THE PROJECT
Bang Seed, the main host believes that the village and children’s homes should be a principal place to learn about life. However, nowadays, the community is facing difficulties to manage this role as some parents think that to acquire better education for their children, they should send them away to schools in town including private ones that intuition fees are so costly. The first idea of Bang Seed is to give opportunities to local kids to learn English. He sees it as an important tool for their future. Percentage of local kids’ language abilities is very low. They only know very basic words, few conversations like “How are you? “I am fine” “Thank you and you?” even if their verbal pronunciation is not really right. It reflects hard situations why the quality of kids’ education in rural areas is still undeveloped. Therefore, he offers his place for which various activities to enhance the learning process of the village kids to be organized by international volunteers, with support of the parents.
There have been already quite some volunteers and many activities since 2014 (you can see some pictures on ”Ta Yang Learning Home” Facebook page) .
AIMS of the PROJECT
- Supporting ideas of the project host with benefits towards better education of the village kids
- Improve English skills of locals
- Preserving the local traditions and wisdom
- Long-lasting learning exchange between villagers, their children and international volunteers
- Understanding the importance of the village community life
WORK AND ACTIVITIES
- Create and organize activities for local kids at the learning home. The kids are usually ranged from 6-7 to 12-13 years old. The schedule and activities will be prepared together by the volunteers and the host team. It may be like 3 or 4 hours activities per day with 1 or 2 days to relax.
- Join and exchange activities about the local culture, occupation (fishing, gardening, using local palm leaves to make crafts- village speciality)
- Take care of the mangrove; the host is working for mangrove preservation.
- Share the daily life of the community
FOOD and ACCOMMODATION
The volunteers will sleep in Bang Seed house. You may share the room with another volunteer. There will be a simple mat, pillow and mosquito net. You will need to bring a sleeping bag – more bedding materials could be an option in case you are not used to sleeping on the hard floor. There are toilets/bathrooms is a really typical, shared Thai style. The volunteer will be part of the family who will take care of them for everything including food, security and transport. You will join the daily tasks including cooking and cleaning. Local people eat rice (or noodles) 3 times a day with side dishes like curries, omelets, local leaves and vegetables and a lot of fresh seafood. Ta Yang is a Muslim area; you shouldn’t bring pork or alcohol there.
REQUIREMENTS The volunteers should be ready to stay in a remote area, to adapt to the local conditions with only basic facilities and with very few people able to speak in English. Volunteers should be able to handle a spontaneous working environment and constant changes in the plans. The mentality and way of thinking are very different from the western world. There will have often activities with the children. To have responsibility for you, the kids and full involvement in community matters is a must.