DaLaa Workcamp – code: 6210
Mixed age (children and elders welcome)
Place: at our office, Kok Riang, close to Hatyai, South Thailand
A week together to experience and practice the values of our association. Living, learning and working together. A mix or staff, members, hosts, volunteers, children, teenagers, young and elder adults. Community power, sharing minds, discussions, dialogues, spontaneity, agriculture, sharing cultures, an open space, a welcoming area, initiatives, ready to help, to play, to heal, ready to learn, always and eating together… voluntary spirit.
HISTORY and REASONS OF THE PROJECT
Since the creation of the association in October 2004, we organize each year a celebration. Year 2015, we had moved our office from Hat Yai to a local village known as Baan Kok Riang in order to get away from bustling city to live a simple life in the countryside. Happily this year again, the flower still blooms, we go over another step that we turn 14 since our foundation.
For more information of Baan Kok Riang village, it is located in Klong Hoi Khong district of Songkhla province, Southern Thailand. The approximate number of villagers settling in this village is about 1,200 people or 140 families. Most of the villagers own fruit orchard and rubber plantation, and nearly all of them are Buddhists. There are a few Buddhist temples in the area and lots of rubber plantation lined up on the sides of the road.
AIMS of the PROJECT
- To bring together DaLaa members (old and new), international volunteers, old friends, project hosts and interested people
- To manage our daily life smoothly in a spontaneous environment and activities, mixing all ages
- To promote and make understanding of our common values and IVS (International Voluntary Service)
- To celebrate the 15th year Anniversary of DaLaa organization
WORK AND ACTIVITIES
The ACTIVITIES to strengthen the relationship and to support the aims are roughly planned as below.
- – Deal with the daily life
- – Work together on the vegetable gardens ( Lung Jaeng’s Garden )
- – Adjust surroundings around the office/the host house
- – Create forums-discussions on “Voluntary Service”
- – Organize activities with village kids
- – DaLaa 15th anniversary celebration
Volunteers should be able to handle spontaneous working environment. You should also be prepared not to have much privacy. To have responsibility for you, the people around and full involvement in community matters is a must.
FOOD and ACCOMMODATION
We have a few bamboo huts and tents, depending of the number of people. You should bring your own sleeping bag and if possible a small mattress. We will provide the mosquito nets. There are 2 showers and toilets in a simple Asian style. Please do not expect intensive comfort during your time at the project. We will cook rice (or noodles) 2 or 3 times a day with side dishes like curries, omelets, local leaves and vegetables. Volunteers will be welcome to cook their own food using the ingredients available there. (No oven, only a gas and woks or pans).